Looking to lose weight and get healthy but having a hard time getting it to stick? You are not alone! Here are some tips to help you stick to your healthy habits once and for all.
1. Start with small goals - Focusing on your end goal can often be very overwhelming. Try and set 'mini goals' that you can follow along the way and once you've reached one mini goal, set another one! Aim to make one small change at a time and these changes will naturally become part of your routine over time.
2. Be accountable - Research shows that accountability is key when it comes to weight loss. Be accountable to something or someone. Try buying a journal or downloading an app that will allow you to track your daily intake. Alternatively, you can be accountable to a friend or family member and plan to check in with each other throughout the week.
3. 80/20 rule - Forget the 'all or nothing' mentality! Not only does it put a lot of unnecessary pressure on you, but it makes it unrealistic on a long term scale. Aim to follow your healthy lifestyle 80% of the time, while allowing yourself some flexibility the other 20% of the time.
4. Be realistic - Setting realistic goals is key. It is next to impossible to form and stick to healthy habits that are unrealistic for you and your lifestyle. It is important to remember that these changes will not happen overnight. Be patient with yourself and your progress!
5. Do it your own way - What works for one person may not work for another. Don't compare yourself to others, no two people are the same! Set healthy habits that work for you and implement them in your own unique way. You've got this!
At Shulman Weight Loss Clinics, our team of Registered Nutritionists are available to help you set and reach your weight loss goals. Click here to contact us for a complimentary initial assessment at any 3 of our weight loss clinics.
Join Dr. Joey's Monthly Newsletter for recipes, meal plans and the latest health buzz.