NATURAL WAYS TO GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP
The holidays can be a hectic, busy time for everyone, making a good night sleep that much more important around this time of the year! Here are some tips to maximize your quality of sleep to help improve energy, boost metabolism and improve immunity.
1. Relax and de-stimulate - Prepare the body for sleep about 1 hour before bed by having a listen to soft music, taking a warm bath or doing some mediation or yoga. This will help your body relax in preparation for going to sleep.
2. Develop regular sleep times - Keep a regular bedtime (i.e. 10 p.m.) and regular wake-up time (i.e. 6 a.m.) Power naps can help you re-charge but make sure they’re only 20-40 minutes so as not to disrupt nighttime sleep.
3. Sleep in a dark room - Even faint light from a window, or the glow of electronic devices can disrupt the body’s production of melatonin. Get black out blinds, cover the clock radio, remove your phone from your room or use a sleep mask to ensure complete darkness.
4. Keep the bedroom for sleeping only - Avoid having a TV or computer in your room when possible.
5. Avoid eating 3 hours before bed - Sleep is for rejuvenation and repair but your body won’t be doing that if it’s busy digesting.
6. Try a calcium magnesium supplement (150mg-300mg) 30-60 minutes before bed. These minerals can help to relax your muscles and improve your quality of sleep.
8. Reduce or eliminate caffeine in the evening - Caffeine can be a powerful stimulant and sometimes will not be digested before going to bed so try to keep your caffeine intake to morning only.