Many of us are all too familiar with the uncomfortable bloating feeling that often occurs after a big, heavy meal. Here are some easy, natural tips to follow to help alleviate and reduce that uncomfortable bloat!
1. Start your day with a warm glass of lemon water - The best possible way to start your day is with a warm glass of lemon water (yes - even before coffee!). Take 1 cup of warm (or room temperature) water and squeeze 1/2 lemon in. Aim to drink this 15-30 minutes before coffee/tea and breakfast.
2. Chew foods thoroughly - In order to reduce bloat, be sure to chew your foods to a paste before swallowing. This will ensure that foods are properly broken down and digested by the body.
3. Add fiber into your daily routine - Eat a variety of high fiber fruits and vegetables (i.e., apples, pears, avocado, and of course - dark leafy greens). For additional fiber, add 1 tablespoon of chia or ground flax seeds into your smoothie, yogurt parfait or salad dressing.
4. Avoid chewing gum - Chewing gum promotes the swallowing of air - which can lead to a build up of gas in the body - aka bloat! Avoid chewing gum or limit to a minimum.
5. Limit bean portions - Beans and legumes can often cause excess bloating and gas. Be mindful of bean portions and aim for no more than 1/2 cup serving in a day.
6. Supplement with probiotic - Probiotics provide the body with good bacteria that helps to support the gut and reduce excess bloating. Probiotics are often found in yogurt (click here for a delicious yogurt parfait recipe) or can be taken with supplementation.
Join Dr. Joey's Monthly Newsletter for recipes, meal plans and the latest health buzz.